Voltech's spent a couple days sorting through our electrical problem and solved it yesterday. It was just a minor problem with our starboard alternator and it was replaced. Had a couple other issues with old wiring on the AC, shore power side that also needed some attention....all fixed. Fish Counter Bob has spent endless hours staining the cabin and has redone the galley "soup to nuts"...the old girl is looking the best it ever has and makes it hard to want to sell her...
This weekend's weather forecast looks sloppy so I am definitely going to sit this one out. Besides, the talk on the dock regarding Codfishing is pretty bleak at the moment. Keep in mind, the water temps are still real high for this time of year and that alone screws everything up. Hopefully those temps will go down soon as we enter November and start to cause some fish to filter-in to SE Block from Coxes and the Nantucket Shoals. Guess its going to be a "wait and see" situ
Hard to believe I am putting her up for sale, but I must in order to get to the next level....so here is the deal: 37 Owens, Federally Documented "FV Codzilla" For Sale... Great opportunity for someone looking to break into the charter business. "FV Codzilla" is a federally documented "six pack" charter vessel. I have owned this boat for 7 years and have invested thousands in upgrades including a complete rewiring of the bridge this past spring. "FV Codzilla" is powered by tw
Deborah and I took off Saturday morning to have a close-up viewing of what might be our next vessel. I first saw the 34 year old boat on Dock SS in Galilee back in 1982 - I was 14 years old at the time and I can remember it like yesterday. My dad and I were walking down the dock looking for the one and only boat that we would consider our "dream boat" if we could have it. Of course...we were both just dreaming, looking for what we thought would be the best boat for hauling
My apologies to the guys who booked Sunday's trip. I've been chasing an electrical problem (along with my friends from Voltech's - marine wiring experts) for several days and late this afternoon we found it...a two part problem actually. 1) a toasted portside alternator (regulator is shot) and 2) a toasted wiring harness that could not handle the voltage requirements of the new "gold plated" head. It cooked it "well done" and I got lucky it didn't cause more damage. So unf
Next Cod trip will be this Sunday, Oct 16th. Two spots sold, two spots open. Only fishing four on the deck plus my mate, the infamous "Fish Counter Bob". $150pp, Going to the ledge on full moon tides and plan to crush it...let me know asap. Thanks Capt
Watching the weather closely for the end of the week and hope to sneak one in this Saturday, Oct 15th. Lots of NE wind all week which is a huge bummer unless your an "unmentionable" (dogfish). Have some minor electrical gremlins to sort out first and happen to believe that everything will be figured out by tomorrow. Lots of electronics powering up that bridge...like to make sure everything is 100% before casting the lines always. The tidal coefficient for Saturday looks to
Yesterdays trip was nothing short of perfect in terms of weather, in fact it took the cake of all the trips this past season. It was a 10/10 with just a light breeze and warm temps that were about as comfortable as you could ask for. "Fish Counter Bob" ran the deck yesterday and at 5 AM sharp we tossed the lines and FV Codzilla slipped away into the darkness and spotty coastal fog. As I went up the channel in "zero visibility" I thought about how lucky I was to have such g
This Friday, Oct 7th looks to be a "go" at this point in time...did my homework and despite the really bad tides forecast for this Friday, I believe I have everything dialed-in for this trip...and it will be epic if everything aligns as I anticipate. Plan on throwing the lines an hour earlier than anticipated...5 AM. Going to steam out in the dark and slay them at 6:20 at sunrise...and we will slay them big time if my "hunch" is correct...standby for more details... Capt.
As of 7:46 PM tonight, the only fishable window right now looks like this Friday, Oct 7th. NWS is calling for light winds out of the East and 2-3' seas. The only downfall may be the tides...very low coefficient between high and low tide, therefore little movement of water, something that does make a difference on most days, however, with Hurricane Matthew heading up the coast, that giant low pressure system could trigger a strong bite despite the dismal tides - seen this be