Can't believe this is the last day in July 2016 and I cancelled today's trip due to another blown forecast...the only job you can be wrong at most of the time and still get paid for it. Frustrating....anyways, looks like the upcoming week will be chock full of NE winds so I will be catching-up on little things around the dock and do have one trip in the books for next Sunday, August 7th...Block Island Fluke and Seabass...one spot open as of this posting. On Monday, August 8t
Took Mike M. and his group from Ct. out for a bluebird day of Codfishing on Coxes Ledge today. Although the weather was better than the fishing, we still managed to put together a very respectable catch with several nice size market fish and a couple of big ones dropped or rolled. For whatever reason, we had a very extended slack tide when we got to the grounds and although I was marking tons of fish and bait, the "magic hour" bite never developed and it was a pick all day.
Our Cod trip planned for this Thursday, July 28th is a go unless something really unforeseen happens to the forecast between now and then. Still have two spots open and really need to fill them. The fishing out on the ledge this summer has been "epic" and the tides for Thursdays trip look real good...call in sick, put down the "honey to-do list" and cancel that doctors appointment. Summer is more than half over...take that day off and come fishing!!! Sunday's trip is SOLD
Had the John Sherman gang out yesterday for some Fluke & Seabass and despite a late start, the fishing was very good. Largest fish was close to 10 and taken on a whole squid. The dogs were strangely absent but I certainly wasn't complaining. Water temps on my gauge ranged from 68 - 72 depending on the location and that is warm but still somewhat normal compared to years past...what is keeping all these dogs on the East Grounds and Fairway area is a mystery to me. Usually,
My apologies for any confusion yesterday on the homepage, I was a bit ahead of myself on the calendar and for some reason skipped over the last week in July. Tomorrow is a go and from what the weather looks like right now, it looks good for a midweek trip or two. Really hope at least one of those can be to the ledge...Keep an eye one this page for tomorrows report and any upcoming trip dates next week.
Only had two show for yesterdays trip so needless to say I was pretty upset. Still did the trip and Jim (Douglas, MA) and Jun (Bristol, RI) were treated to a good day of fishing with a wide open stern for them to enjoy. The Cod bite in the AM was on the slow side due to a slacking tide but it did pick-up enough to box a few nice ones for the table. The Fluke and Seabass were very active in the late morning and Jim put on a clinic as he boxed several beauties including one
Thursday is a go...the updated forecast looks like the wind machine is going to give us enough time to fish and get back home before it starts cranking late Thursday night into Friday. All the fishing reports have been solid and a friend told me Sunday he limited out on nice green fish 12-15 lbs avg. FV Codzilla is topped off with fuel and all the gear is set and ready to go. Tomorrow I will load the coolers with ice and prep the bait which I don't think we will even touch
The next open boat trip is planned for this Thursday, July 21st...I would really like to get offshore for some Cod but cannot do it unless I have a minimum of four anglers. The Cod fishing out on the ledge is red hot and from what I was told yesterday, zero dogfish!!! That alone is worth the long ride. Inshore, the fishing is holding up well with good scores of Fluke around the island and plenty of Seabass and Scup inside just outside the center wall. My chest freezer is
Can't seem to catch a break from the weatherman...its mid July for heavens sake, not mid January. Regardless, NOAA already greatly altered the forecast for the weekend and with SCA (small craft advisories) up overnight tonight extending into late Friday...no doubt the water will be kicked-up at the minimum into Sat AM....then supposed to turn and get a 10kt NNW wind with 3-4' seas at 5 second intervals...not what I would consider "comfortable" fishing conditions...So Saturda
Planning to get offshore for some Cod this weekend. Going to be picking the better of the two days but hoping it will be Saturday. I will know for sure by Friday morning, hopefully they won't fuck-up the forecast as bad as they did last week...cost me a few years off my life. Anyway, the reports are all solid, the fish are there and I want to fill the cooler. Have a 3 gallons of fresh clams and tons of jigs ready. Just need that weather window to allow us to get to the gr